Monday, April 21, 2008

Wild, Wild, West

About a month ago, I went for a 12 mile run in one of my favorite places in the city...Forest Park. It's a very large and busy park that is perfect for people watching, so it's a great place for longer runs. I was prayin' on my run, as I often do, because it is one of the only times I can block out all the noise and focus. Unfortunately, my focus was broken by a few laps past this location....the horse stable for the Forest Park Division-St. Louis Mounted Police. Every time I ran past it, I went into a several mile fit of giggles. Now, outside of the obvious off color jokes that were going through my head (Hi, I'm 12.), I contemplated this quandary....What, pray tell, are the purpose of mounted police officers? It's not like we are going to witness a stand off in the OK Corral in the middle of the park. There is no need to chase down any wayward cattle who decide to wander onto Art Hill to graze. The closest things we have to the wild, wild west in the park are the wild animals in the zoo or the western historical exhibits in the history museum. Really, do they expect to have to chase after a runaway stagecoach or a masked madman who just robbed the local bank on horseback?

4 comments:

Razz said...

I've wondered that too. The only time I see them is for crowd control. Didn't they invent a two-wheeled vehicle called the motorcycle awhile back?

Anonymous said...

I think they have mounted police because Kids get a kick out of looking at and petting the horsies, that is why they have always been around,I am so sure, and I think that's a good enough reason

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words on my last post. If you ever get the urge, you can join me for the Dogwood 5K (certified course). It is only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Collinsville. Good luck with your upcoming running....and good luck with your end of school schedule.

Nitmos said...

If the police wanted to put a scare into people by riding a majestic animal, the horse is not the way to go. They should mount a tiger or a bear.

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic