Thursday, May 29, 2008

jive talkin'

In my quest for injury-free marathon training, I'm forcing myself to do the dreaded strength and cross training recommended by pretty much every running expert. I hate it. I just wanna run. I know, I know, I'm whining. I'll say it to myself and save you from giving the pep talk..."Just suck it up Bets..."

However, today I discovered a way to make it entertaining. Have you ever watched people workout at a gym? I seriously think that they don't realize people are watching them like T.V. I think the makers of "The Office" need to make a spin-off show called "The Gym." They would have an unending supply of characters to parody.

My innocent victim today was a treadmill runner. First of all, the guy was wearing a sweat shirt and old school sweat pants, with the requisite giant, rapidly spreading sweat rings. Normally, that wouldn't send me into a fit of inner giggles, but it was his added "strut" that made me lose it. The guy started walking slowly with a definite "jive-talkin'" esque saunter. The only things missing were a polyester pants suit and a swingin' paint can. I mean, he was REALLY goin' to town to whatever ditty was playing on his mp3 player (I wonder what song he was listening to?). If that wasn't enough, he progressed to a "speed-saunter strut", quickly followed by the "sprint strut." I don't know HOW that guy did it...think John Travolta on crack. It was quite impressive.

*Side note...I tried the strawberry flavored Clif Shot Bloks today. I cut them in three pieces. It was a lot easier to handle in the smaller size. I think I like the strawberry better than the cherry.

3 comments:

Nitmos said...

sRod has a new, irregular series on the Gym Folks. The two of you could combine forces and start a new TV series. Some gym rats are more closely related to carnies.

Katie said...

Today while doing my cross training (i.e. walking) I a new kind of runner... the noodle neck. He made me giggle as I watch his head bobble from one side to the other.

Carly said...

LMAO! There really does need to be a sitcom about the gym.

We have the lady that comes bundled up for winter (stocking hat included) to workout on the ellipical training for an hour.

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic