Tuesday, June 3, 2008

game on!

You may not follow my logic, but my solution to my fatigue problem has been to beat it at it's own game. Being the stubborn ox that I am I say, "Okay, fatigue....GAME ON!" So, in my battle of wills with my stubborn body, I have tried to beat it into submission. Here was my three point plan....
1. Give up on caffeine. Maybe the artificial chemical energy boost was causing my energy crash.
Result: I only lasted 36 hours....I quickly realized that caffeine withdrawal=ten pound anvil sitting on my head, making me want to poke my eyeballs out with pointy sticks. It was soooooo not worth it.
2. Bombard myself with superfoods. I checked out this book from the library.

It outlines 14 foods that are uber-healthy, cancer fighting, energy providing, well...super foods. I can't help but imagine a banana in a superhero cape when I say that...dah, dah,dah, daaaah! SUPER FOODS!!!!!
Result: It maaay be helping a little. It could be the fact that I have to eat an immense amount of fruit, veggies, and other healthy stuff, which leaves me with less room for sugar. Sugar may be my nemesis.
3. Confuse my body with a new routine. Trick it into ditching the fatigue. I did a turbo kick box class on Saturday. I have been faithfully lifting weights for about a month. I joined a running group that meets three times a week, hoping that running with others will help me to absorb other runners' energy by association. I've been using my elliptical trainer and swimming laps.
Result: Jury is still out on this one. As far as I can tell, the only changes have been...
-I can't lift my arms above my head without lots of popping, creaking, and moaning.
-I've made some new running friends! Yeah for running friends!
-My laundry loads have increased.

I'll keep you posted....so far the game score is:
Fatigue:2
TheBets:1

4 comments:

Marcy said...

How many hrs of sleep do you get? Dang chica, this has been going on for awhile now. I'm chronically tired but I know it's from lack of sleep :P

Midwest said...

You might also consider seeing your doctor. After I found out that I'm anemic, I learned that anemia is common in female endurance athletes. Perhaps it's especially common in female endurance athletes named Betsy.

Nitmos said...

Keep fighting the good fight! Oh, and stop lifting your arms over your head.

Katie said...

If you're anemic... you'll love it. Not that it's such a cool thing to have, but I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I got me some iron!!

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic