Thursday, June 5, 2008

yard stroller

So, this past weekend I went on my long run on Sunday. My neighborhood has some hefty hills, so I opted to run few loops through a newer route I have mapped out. Also, since living in the STL area in the summer (according to my friend Kristin) is like "living inside someone's mouth," running in the 'hood gives me the option to run with easy and less messy access to agua frio (my fuel belt bottles are leaking).

On my first loop around, I saw one of my neighbors was outside grilling for his friends and family...not an unusual sight on my street in the summer. I smiled and waved (and secretly wished he would offer me a burger).

On my second loop around, the guy is walking his baby girl in the jogging stroller down the driveway. I think, "Aw, how cute. Dad is taking her for stroll."

On my third loop around, Dad is walking the daughter in the jogging stroller in circles around the yard. I think, "Huh....that's odd."

I made another half loop to finish off the run and cool down. The father and child....still walking around the yard. Okay, now I have to stop. So I ask, "Trying to get her used to a new stroller?" Nope....he says, "Just killing time while we wait for dinner to be ready!" I had nothing to say to that...at least out loud. I smiled, nodded, and was on my way, all the while wondering....Why not take the kiddo out of the yard? You have a several hundred dollar jogging stroller and you take her for a walk on your patch of grass? I'd understand if you were alone and were the only one left to tend to dinner, but his house was surrounded by cars. I'm sure someone inside would be able to flip a couple burgers while he took the girl for a spin around the block. Instead, he opted for the more ridiculous option...which reminded me of a story my dad tells often. His mom used to let him take the row boat out on his own when he was a kid....as long as he was attached to a rope to the dock. I'm sure he was mocked by all the local kids...much like I was(in my head) mocking my neighbor as I ran home.

4 comments:

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! That is so lame. Even I, the laziest person on the planet would at least do the 1/2 mile up and back down my street.

Midwest said...

It is lame, but when you've got a baby, you get a little desperate and nuts sometimes.

Nitmos said...

Kids make me do stupid things all the time. Take pity on us.

Katie said...

Maybe the dad had one of those invisible fences and would be shocked if he left the yard!

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic