Sunday, March 2, 2008

betsy and katie get "lost"

For those of you who know me, the quote of the day will give you a giggle. Even if you don't, I imagine you will find it funny if you have ever gone for a long run and rewarded yourself with food. I get a lot of teasing for my miles....and my injuries....and I love to feed my inner fat kid...I call him Bubba. So, this quote is very fitting.

"If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want-Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway."Don Kardong

So here's the story of Betsy and Katie getting "lost." Yesterday, Katie text messaged me on my way home from work to tell me that she was going to get her oil changed before we went on a Valentine's Day visit to a local nursing home. We discussed going for a run before we went. So, we dropped off her car at the Vavoline in Collinsville and went for a run while we waited for her oil change. So...we go on our merry way....and decide to get creative. We ran to Kate's house and caught her and Skip on their way out...wished them a happy Valentine's Day.....ran on. We made a random turn on a side street to avoid killing ourselves in traffic....no clue where we were going or where we were going to end up. We get to a sizable hill and wonder if we should turn around and go on the road we knew would take us to our destination. Nope, we decide to trudge up the hill. I run ahead to see where the road ends up and get to the top of the hill to discover a cross road...the street name is Lost. I run back to Katie in a fit of giggles. "WE HAVE TO TAKE THIS ROAD!" Several jokes about being on "lost" and a few random turns later, Lost Ave. intersects with Rainbow St. Now I start singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." There's no place like home, there's no place like home....well, to make a long story short, we found our pot of gold at the end of Rainbow St. and made it out onto Beltline, and back to Vavoline. Moral of the story: Don't get stuck running the same route all the time. Venture out into the unknown. You may get "lost," but it is always an adventure. You will find there is no place like home at the end of the rainbow...and you will be fitter for the effort.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic