Saturday, March 22, 2008

secret agent man

So there is this group of little kids that live in my neighborhood. Most of them are boys. I usually see them in a massive pack hanging out together outside each others' houses. They probably range in age from 8-10, so they are at the age where they are too cool to talk to adults, but still want to impress them.

One of their dad's has built them a ramp for jumping their bikes and skateboards. Whenever I run by them, they time it so one of them is doing some trick on the ramp just as I run by...so I can cheer for them and say the appropriate impressive comments like, "Wow!" or "AMAZING!" They jump off the ramp and strut around like they just landed a perfect 10 at the Olympics.

So, the other day I was running on a particularly warm springish afternoon. Two of the boys were playing. As I got closer to them, I saw that they had giant water guns...fully loaded. They had their heads together, obviously planning something mischievous. Next, I saw one of them sprint ahead, cross someone's yard, and hide behind a tree. The other followed, in pursuit. Up ahead, I saw their target.....one of their little sisters...on a frilly purple bike...with a basket....poor girl. She was about a half a block ahead of the little punks. As I watched the pursuit unfold, I heard one of the boys singing a little ditty as he darted from tree to tree. He was singing "Secret Agent Man." I had to try REALLY hard not to burst into a fit of uncontrolled laughter, but I showed iron-clad self control and did not blow their obviously well planned, impenetrable "cover."

As I passed them and inevitably crossed paths with their intended target, I contemplated warning her. Being a little sister myself, and having been the target of many secret agent attacks, I felt I bit of kinship with the poor girl. Alas, I minded my own business, and let the events unfold behind me as planned....I felt a little guilty, but those boys are my neighborhood posse....I didn't want to become the object of their next "secret" water gun-laden mission....at least not till it gets warmer outside.

1 comment:

Kate said...

that. was. hilarious.

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic