Monday, March 3, 2008

playing chicken

So sometimes when I run my regular route from my house through Main Street in Cville I see this old woman. I think she is pushing about 70. I admire her cause she's out there walkin' and exercising...she looks pretty fit. This is where my admiration stops. I think she is playing chicken with me.

The sidewalks on Vandalia are very narrow and the traffic is very heavy on the street. I do the polite thing and run to one side of the sidewalk. Chicken Lady walks right down the middle of the sidewalk, causing me to run into the grass (or street) to avoid her. So, Monday I decided to see what would happen if I ran straight at her-NOT risking life and limb trying to avoid her-to see what she would do. About a half a block prior to our meeting, I made eye contact. She sized up me, I sized up her. I heard this unspoken exchange between us-"I think I can take her....punk." So, I barrel toward her head on. I got about 3 feet from her and realized Chicken Lady wasn't gonna budge. Rather than body check her into oncoming traffic, I punked out. I made an abrupt maneuver to avoid contact and had a very muddy and wet shoe to show for it.

Darn you Chicken Lady......we shall meet again.

2 comments:

Topher said...

Very funny blog, Bubba/Betsy. You've got to watch out for those 70-year-olds. They're ornery!

thebets said...

Thanks...I think this particular one has it out for me. I haven't seen her since that Monday, but I'm about to head out for a run on the same route, so I may have another face off today.

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic