Sunday, March 2, 2008

bernie from the block

You will find that you meet some interesting people and other creatures when you are a runner. I like to give them names (some of them I actually know their real names). Today's creature I have named Bernie from the Block.

Bernie is a dog (his name is actually Bernie). He is an indestructible, evasive maneuvering, wonder that confuses and amuses me. Bernie is my neighbor. He is a black and white anklebitter bitty thing. His owners let him out without supervision or a leash and he roams the block. He lifts his bitty leg on every tree, noses in everyone's front yards, eagerly greets his canine blockmates with butt sniffing abandon, and on occasion, I find him chillin' out in my garage or on my front porch. I open the door to venture out for a morning run....hello Bernie. I run around the hood in the evening...Bernie runs with me down the block. Bernie often gets distracted easily, so he doesn't last long on my runs, but he is entertaining for the the short time he is my companion. I often end my run in front of his house, and he runs out to greet me as if to say "Way to go Betsy! You finished...you are the bets! (Kate that one was for you)" I usually just pat him on the head, give him a high five, and happily head home. Now, if you have spent any time at my house, you know I live on a VERY sharp VERY blind curve in the street. Bernie confuses me...HOW in the world does he not end up a Bernie pancake?! Seriously WHAT is it with this little rat dog that makes him indestructible?! People drive around that curve like they are in the Indy 500, and Bernie still lives. There really needs to be a study on this dog....he has some kind of freakish internal radar that warns him....INCOMING!!!!...and he just steps calmly out of the way. I want that radar.
Anyway...these are some of the things I ponder when I run. Hopefully you have a dog or other friendly woodland creature that keeps you company on your runs/walks. Next time, I'll tell you about the dog that saved my life on a run in the Ozarks (I haven't named him yet)....or Gatorade Guy...or the Porch Posse.....etc., etc., etc.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic