Sunday, March 2, 2008

winter

Here is a rant from one of my winter runs his season.

I'm going to rant...again. This time it is about my attitude, and not celebrity runners.
Here is how my run went...

1. Drive home from work...fast...hoping that I can get home, change, and get in a short run before the weather hits.

2. Change...put on two pairs of pants, and three shirts.... and head out the door, get blasted with cold air, see it is snowing already...think- "Dang-it....grrrr....winter."

3. Mile one-muscles start to loosen up, people turn their outside xmas lights on, big, fat snowflakes falling...think-"Sigh, this is so peaceful, I love running in the snow"....sense of peace and serenity takes over, even do a little running happy dance between the snowflakes, wave at neighbors as they drive by...smile and greet the dog walkers.....Ahhhh.....I love winter.

4. Mile two-Wind picks up, glasses fog up...have to take them off and start to run blind....no more happy dance....just look down and forge ahead. Think-"This isn't so fun anymore...run faster, get this dang thing over with."

5. Mile three-Sleet hits, road gets slippery, can't see a dang thing, wind picks up again which drives needles of sleet and snow into my face, outer shirt is COVERED in ice and snow...look like the abominable snowman....run down steep hill, pray..."Don't fall, don't fall, don't fall"....run home at the last stretch thinking "I HATE WINTER #$%&!@#$#@!"

6. At home....peel off layers of soggy clothing, hang to dry. Curl up on couch and crawl under a blanket. Two hours later, think-"That was fun...I feel good.....I love running...I can't wait to do it again tomorrow!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a teacher with a running problem, or maybe I'm a runner with a teaching problem...you pick.

Followers

races completed

A bunch of 5Ks...I've lost track over the years...

O'Fallon (IL) YMCA 15K Winter 2007

St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon (spring) 2007

Spirit of St. Louis Marathon 2007

Boilermaker 15K Roadrace 2007 (Utica, NY)

Lewis and Clark Marathon 2007 (St. Charles, MO)

St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008

-12K

-10 Miles

-20K

-Half Marathon

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2008

Route 66 Festival 10K 2008 (Edwardsville, IL)

O'Fallon (IL) Summer Sizzler 15K 2008

Lewis and Clark Half Marathon 2008 (St, Charles, MO: DNS-cancelled due to Hurricane Ike)

O'Fallon Fall Finale 15K 2008


St. Louis Track Club Half Marathon 2008 (PR!)

Mountain Home Half Marathon (Arkansas) 2008 (2nd in age group!)

Great River Road Run (IL) 10 miles


St. Louis Track Club Frost Bite Series 2008-2009

-12K

-10 miles

Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon (AZ)

Go! St. Louis Half Marathon 2009

Kentucky Derby Half Marathon 2009


















future races

race wish list

Big Sur Marathon
Disney Marathon
Nike Marathon
Marine Corps Marathon
Great River Relay
Bolder Boulder
Chicago Distance Classic